Wednesday 23 July 2008

A Doctor's Visit in Malawi...

I was looking through some old videos from my time in Malawi and found this video. This is the clinic in Chisala that we will attach the maternity ward to. This video shows the under 5 ante-natal clinic (which is every other Wednesday) where only women with sick children under the age of 5 can come and be seen by a nurse. My friend and I took this video one morning....



I really feel grateful for our healthcare system - especially the NHS! I know I've complained about waiting in the doctor's office, but most of these women have walked miles and miles with their young children to get to the clinic. They will spend most of the day waiting to be seen and when they are, the clinic may not have the medical knowledge to diagnose the child or they may not have the medicine that the child needs. You don't have to have a baby to know that that's scary.

If we raise enough money for the maternity ward, we'd like to improve the clinic as well - it's the smallest clinic in the district but serves nearly 40,000 people! Although even by just building the maternity ward, the clinic will then be big enough to warrant the District Hospital placing a full time doctor there. So in that way, the clinic will improve.

1 comment:

Beth Laurie said...

Yes, I too have complained on more than one occasion about having to wait at the doctor's, but now I will try to remember how fortunate I am and be a little more thankful and a little less aggrivated.