Monday 11 August 2008

£220!

I just wanted to let you all know that the bake sale was a HUGE success, we made about £220! And we even have a few more cakes we can sell tomorrow. I never want to bake again. Although, I must be good at it because I had loads of compliments. This man said his wife was three times my age and couldn't bake anything at all - he asked if I could give her some pointers, haha.

Also, just because...I have to tell you that I made Toad in the Hole for dinner...and I loved it! I'm embarrassed to say I've lived in the UK for nearly five years and I've never had this traditional English dish! Basically you bake sausages in a pan and once they're partially cooked you pour batter all around it and let it bake in the oven. I served it with mashed potatoes and onion gravy and a salad. This is not a picture of my Toad in the Hole, but I wanted to give you an idea of what it looks like. It's delicious! Still, what a funny thing to call a dish...

Although not as weird as the English dessert called Spotted Dick. I'm not even joking - you can look it up! Actually, I'll save you the trouble....here's the Wikipedia definition:

Spotted dick is a traditional English steamed suet pudding containing dried fruit (usually currants), commonly served with either custard or butter and brown sugar. Spotted refers to the dried fruit (which resemble spots) and Dick may be a contraction/corruption of the word pudding (from the last syllable) or possibly a corruption of the word dough.[1]

And look! Heinz even make their own tinned version...so you have to believe me!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Now, that is funny!!

Beth Laurie said...

That's hilarious. It looks yummy though.