Sunday 10 August 2008

BAKING DAY

It's 8:00 on Sunday...the day before the big cake sale! I did most of my shopping yesterday, but I know I'll be sending Andy to the store for supplies throughout the day. Yesterday I made about 70 Oreo Truffles and experimented with an Apricot Bar recipe, which turned out pretty well. So - two things down, about twenty to go. It's times like these I wish I lived in America with all my friends and family close by so that people could bake things for me! Haha. Although, Andy's nanny (who I've really and truly adopted as my own) made about 24 little tea cakes for the bake sale...I don't really know what to call them, so Andy's mom and I decided to call them Nanny Cakes : ) My friend Emily should be arriving at some point this morning, as well as my marshmallow shipment from the States (for Rice Krispies Treats). I can't tell you what a fiasco getting these marshmallows has been...and my nickname is now Maggy Marshmallow. Oh dear. Anyway, I'll post some pics at the end of the day.

What a very long day! Eight hours later...we have nearly 300 individual cakes-type things to sell. Let's hope it pays off!

Fairy Cakes (as they call them in the UK) and Chocolate Krispie Cakes...
A failed experiment. M&M's in muffins. Emily seemed to think that was the solution to all of our baking problems was to add candy, haha. We had varied results...reminds me of a certain experiment when I was young...Skittle Muffins : )
Most of the cakes on the floor of our guest room (the others are in the fridge)
We are so tired. But at least we're done...I never want to bake again!!!

5 comments:

Lynn Falk said...

My mouth is watering! I wish I could sample some from each batch! Everything looks delicious.
You looks so cute in the pictures baking away.
I hope everything goes well with the sale!

Anonymous said...

Thay all look DELISH! Even the M&M's in muffins...

Well done to all the bakers - hope it's a big success :)

Beth Laurie said...

I wished you lived in the States too Maggy Marshmallow, then maybe I could get some:)

Anonymous said...

Steve had to take marshmallows with him to Ukraine. I can't imagine why they aren't a worldwide delicacy!

Wow! what a lot of work. You'll sleep well!

Amber said...

Melissa,

They ARE a worldwide delicacy, it's just that, in the UK, they treat them like candy - or sweets, as the brits say, and so you can only get them in small packets, and they are both Pink and White.

When we lived in the UK, I tried to make Rice Krispie Treats using them.. they came out a horrible light pink color and looked a lot like.. well.. upchuck. It was terrible.

I had bought the marshmallows for Maggy, and I was shipping another friend a camera lens. He said I could just toss the marshmallows in with his lens as (crazy enough), he works with our mutual friends Kebs and Wez. He was then supposed to pass the marshmallows on to Wez who would give them to Maggy. But what a nightmare coordinating!

I'm glad they arrived, Maggy Marshmallow :) I wish I could have helped.